Brooklyn Public Library’s card is free for anybody that everyday lives, works, will pay home fees, or attends school in brand New York State
New Yorkers with government-issued IDs off their states
If you reside in brand new York State and don’t have an innovative new York State ID, you will have to bring your legitimate out-of-state ID and proof ny state target that’s been released within the last few 90 days (paystub, postmarked mail, domestic bill).
You will need to bring your valid out-of-state ID and proof of employment in New York, or proof of property ownership in New York if you work in New York or own property in New York and do not have a New York State ID.
Ny state residents that do n’t have a Brooklyn Public Library card and would really like use of just the e-book collection may submit an application for an eCard. Year this card will give you access to the Library’s Overdrive, 3M, and Flipster collections for 1.
Sign up for an eCard and immediately get a collection barcode and PIN to begin with accessing the e-book collection.
Please be aware that to allow the application to successfully go through, you have to let the type to trace your location. When prompted with an email such as “disc.bklynlibrary.org would like to monitor your location that is physical” you have to click on “allow when”.
In the event that you had an eCard before and wish to get holds, wishlists, checkouts, etc. utilized in the new account, please complete the Report an upgraded Card form to get going. After publishing the proper execution, it may need business that is approximately 1-3 for the task to transfer over.
To find out more in regards to the eCard, see our eCard FAQs.
Out-of-State Residents (non-NYS residents)
Non-NYS residents may submit an application for a Brooklyn Public Library account and luxuriate in use of our selection that is extensive of & Databases and eBooks. There clearly was a yearly, non-refundable $50 cost for out-of-state cardholders.
As soon as your application is submitted, a representative will contact you within five (5) company times using the next actions.
If you decide to select your library card up, you may possibly achieve this by going to any certainly one of our 59 locations and talk to an employee user. The $50.00 yearly, non-refundable charge might be compensated during the time of pick-up.
We presently don’t accept applications from worldwide residents at the moment.
Renewing Your Library Card
Nyc State Residents: Library cards expire every 36 months. Please bring appropriate ID to any library branch to restore your card.
Away from State Residents: Library cards expire on a yearly basis. To restore your out-of-state account, please deliver an email to email@example.com with your collection card barcode and content of appropriate ID. A $50.00 non-refundable fee that is annual be reproduced for your requirements.
eCard holders: eCards are non-renewable and certainly will expire one after registration year.
Educator cardholders: For here is how to restore your Educator account, please go to our Educator Card web page.
Reporting Your Card Missing
Any items which had been lent and/or fees accrued just before reporting your card lost or stolen will be your duty. In the event the card is lost or stolen, please report it to an employee user at certainly one of our branches instantly.
It’s also possible to make use of the “Report a Card Lost” function in your My Account web page that will temporarily disable your bank account from usage by unauthorized users. Please be aware that when this particular feature is utilized, you’ll not manage to restore or library that is borrowing (including eMaterial) until your account is rectified. Please go to your library that is local and with an employee user to unblock your account.
To displace your card, you need to spend an alternative show and fee acceptable ID.
You could borrow as much as 50 things at time on your own library card.
- Publications – 3 weeks
- Audiobooks – 3 weeks by having a limitation of 10 products using one account
- Printed Music (Scores) – 3 months
- Videos, DVDs, CDs and magazines – 1 week by having a restriction of 10 CDs and a combined total of 10 videos and DVDs.
You might restore materials so long as there are not any holds in the product along with your account is in good standing.
There is certainly at the most 15 renewals for every product ( this will not add eBooks)
You will find three straight ways to renew:
- Face-to-face at any Brooklyn Public Library location
- On the web by logging into your My account that is BPL
- Throughout the phone by calling 718.230.6700
Spot something on hold for an instant and way that is convenient get materials that aren’t now available at try your local library.
- Spot a hold demand through our catalog or perhaps in individual at check your local library
- You are able to put as much as 10 holds on your own library account on any circulating within the collection that is library the next exceptions: guide, unique collections, and magazines and journals.
- The collection will be sending a notice via e-mail, text or telephone if your hold is truly to pickup. Please be certain we now have your proper contact information. You shall have 1 week to pickup your hold.
Going Back Materials
- Return material to your Brooklyn Public Library book or location fall.
- All product is born straight right back by the date suggested at time of checkout or renewal. Fines will quickly accrue if things aren’t came back by the deadline.
- Numerous component materials should be came back complete at period of go back to avo > Courtesy reminders of future due dates are delivered by e-mail or text. Overdue notices are delivered by phone or email. Failure to get notices will not excuse overdue fines.
Interlibrary Loan is a site which allows Brooklyn that is valid Public cardholders to request to borrow publications perhaps not owned by BPL off their libraries in the us. You are able to submit loan that is interlibrary in individual at any Brooklyn Public Library branch. This solution is able to Brooklyn Public Library clients; nevertheless, fines and costs examined by the financing collection do apply. Discover more.
Fines and costs
Fines and Costs Schedule
Fines accrue per product, per calendar time, whether or not Brooklyn Public Library (BPL) is closed. It really is your obligation to help keep an eye on your dates that are due. Failure to get courtesy collection notices will not excuse fines.
- Books/Magazines: $0.15/day
- Audiobooks, CDs and CD-ROM computer pc software: $0.15/day
- DVDs & V > Interlibrary Loan: $1/day
- Substitution Card Fee (Adult/Young Adult): $2
- Substitution Card Fee (Senior/Juvenile): $1
- Out-of-State Card Fee: $50
- Substitution Card Fee (Out-of-State): $5
- Bounced Check Fee: ten dollars
- Collection Agency Fee: ten dollars
Borrowing privileges are suspended when fines or costs reach a $15 threshold. You cannot spot holds, restore, or have a look at product until your account falls underneath the limit.
Unreturned, lost, or damaged material and materials with multiple components which can be came back incomplete will likely be billed for your requirements. You cannot spot holds, restore, or consider product until it really is solved.
You are able to get back or pay money for the billed product. If billed material is came back, you will end up examined overdue fines alternatively.
You will be charged the full replacement cost of each item if you lose or damage any of the items checked out to your account. No replacement products should be accepted in the place of any items that are outstanding.
Borrowers with unpaid balances of $25 or maybe more might be contacted by a group agency. A $10.00 collection fee is positioned on accounts that reach this threshold. If you should be called towards the collection agency, you have to spend balance in complete before your borrowing privileges are restored.
Please read our Fines and costs Policy to learn more.
Having to pay Your Fines and Costs
You’ll want your collection card to cover your fines. You are able to pay with the following practices:
- Money re payments are accepted at kiosks bought at every BPL location. Staff doesn’t gather money from clients.
- Checks made payable to BPL could be fond of the employees at any location. Are the account that is library associated with the account being pa > Credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, and find out) are accepted after all BPL kiosks. It is possible to spend at home by signing into My BPL.
Our Borrowing Policy has changed!
Effective July 1, 2019, the collection applied modifications to its borrowing/renewal/fines policy. Find Out More